Work for us
Work for us!
We currently have 2 job opportunities at Howe at 36 Bourne Street, a sister company of www.howelondon.com which currently has a total of 20 staff.
Both are predominantly sales based, however being within a team of 5 there is a good mix of other responsibilities.
Based between our Camberwell Studio and two Pimlico Road showrooms, these roles will be largely sales based, involving face to face and telephone discussions with clients. The unique nature of our leather, fabrics and wallpaper mean sales are generally very hands-on with the need to guide clients through selection and suitability, together with a copious amount of email inquiries and meticulous back-up administration, creating invoices, collecting payments and organising shipping, in order to keep everything running very smoothly. If you’re happy with this so far, and feel you are organised, reliable, personable and meticulous, then please read on.
The human and creative flip side of this role is truly wonderful. Our clients are special, inspiring and fascinating to work with, and sometimes quite demanding. Each day brings new problems to solve and fresh opportunities to creatively encourage the use of our growing range. Often this means having to delve deep into the finer details of our clients’ projects so we can offer the best advice, be it for the recovering of a precious antique wing chair, or deciphering complex CAD drawings for a large restaurant in order to calculate leather and material requirements. If you feel you can remain unruffled under pressure and have an inventive, imaginative mind, then please read on.
We hope you will become extremely efficient and confident in the use of Xero (a cloud based accounting system), build up an extensive understanding of the use of leather and fabric on contemporary and period upholstery, learn about upholstery techniques and detailing, and gain knowledge of all the best interior design studios in the UK and USA.
Other tasks and responsibilities
Outside of sales, there are many other aspects of the business that all team members work on, depending on individual interest, skills and time avaliable.
- Social Media
- Shop Dressing
- Product Design, Development and Quality Control
- Working with Factories and Mills
- Product Launches
- Managing our Website
- Business Development
- Book Keeping and Financial Admin
- Proactive Sales
Alongside the more mundane but nevertheless necessary aspects of running a small business, which should be mentioned!
- Stock Taking
- Unpacking and Packing Orders
- ‘Physical days’ where we move the stock around the studio and between Howe locations
- A spot of Gardening here and there
- … And of course making tea and coffee for each other!
Working at Howe at 36 Bourne Street is a full-on, rounded experience of everything it takes to run a small business. Expect to get your hands dirty and become competent on all aspects. We find the variety and breadth of tasks are what makes the job fulfilling and long lasting. We don’t suit short term team members as there is so much to learn. You generally don’t get into the real swing of things until you’ve had a least a year with us, so please do not apply if you want a quick stepping-stone job.
We encourage candidates from all walks of life and previous work experience to apply, male or female, school leavers or seniors.
The job will be split between our 3 locations – our Camberwell studio, our Pimlico road shops, and our Battersea warehouse. Initially the job will be mostly centred in Camberwell but in time would be more frequently based either at Battersea or at the Pimlico shops.
Both roles can be either a 4 or 5 day week within Monday to Friday, depending on your preference. You will have to work around one in every four Saturdays at the shop, gaining a day in lieu in the same calendar week. The Saturday work is non-negotiable, though there is flexibility in the rota as to when you work those days. Working hours are 9am to 6pm with one hour for lunch. 28 days holiday can be taken per year including bank holidays.
We are a London living wage employer and base our PAYE salaries from this as a base line. The salary is utterly dependant on individual skills, competence and experience as this effects how much training and management will be required.
Must have skills, experience and personality traits
- Drivers licence
- Confident Apple Mac user
- An affinity with fabrics, leather, wallpaper and trim, and an interest in the world of interior design and furniture
- Neat hand writing
- Happy to climb small step ladders, lift rolls of fabric, pack boxes. Willing to dig in on all the physical tasks on a daily basis, when necessary
- An unflappable and calm demeanour, capable of being patient, friendly and fair with all clients, no matter the circumstances!
- Neat, and organised, and naturally writes things down rather than trying to remember everything
- Being a do-er; you get stuff done, then move onto the next task
- Practical, smart and quick thinking
- In your own unique and individual style, being presentable and setting a great impression to our customers at all times
- Having the willingness to listen and adapt to our way of doing things, and the confidence to ask a lot of questions!
- Patient and careful so that work is done accurately ‘first time’. We cannot accommodate anyone who is sloppy or careless.
- And finally, we have 5 office dogs, so liking dogs is a must!
If interested, a visit to our shops and our Camberwell studio is a must prior to applying. If visiting the Camberwell studio, please call ahead on the day to check we are in. No appointment is needed for the shop visits.
After your visits, serious applicants should then register their interest by sending a cover letter to Joanne by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted July 2021.